Wednesday, July 5, 2017

So Far This Summer...

I haven't posted much here the past few weeks. I miss it when I am not posting, and always hope to post more,but life is busy.... yada... yada. Anyway, I thought I would update a little on some things that we have been up to this summer.

I have been loving making memories with the boys. At Eliott's age (1.5 years), it is much easier to be out at parks and playgrounds than it was last year at this time. I have had two babies around the 6 month mark during the summer, and for some reason that age just seems difficult to be out and about with. At six months my babies were crawling, putting everything in their mouths, and taking 3 naps throughout the day (but weren't young enough to just sleep anywhere). So we have big plans to really enjoy a little more flexibility that his age brings this year.

We have already enjoyed several beach days with friends this summer. The beach really is my happy place. Not long ago, Dan asked me what I think about when I am driving in the car and he isn't around. I told him that most of the time, I am thinking about the quickest route to the ocean. How long would it take from my location? Which beach is the closest? How long could we stay if I made a U-turn and went right now. He can't relate to my beach loving self. However, his happy place is just about any lake he can swim in. So we compromise, and try to do plenty of trips to both throughout the summer.

We have a river that runs through our backyard. The boys love to go down and catch frogs. On occasion they get a little carried away and end up swimming in their clothes. Most of the time the river is perfect for little ones to wade around in, and isn't too high or moving too fast for them.

We have had so many days outside at parks, the beach, pools, lakes, and playgrounds that I have to force myself to stay home once or twice a week to get house stuff done. On those days we have been making lots of crafts from whatever scraps we happen to have around. Boxes, string, glue, tape, paper towel rolls... they all become Logan's next creation. Just last week he made Eliott a pretty detailed little race car out of an amazon box. We also finally found the best playdough recipe. I have tried so many homemade recipes but the playdough always dries up or gets clumpy. Nearly a month in, and this is still just as perfect and squishy as the day we made it!

On the Fourth of July we went to a campground about an hour north of us. We spent the day on the beach there (all by ourselves for most of the day)! The weather and water were perfect. We did have a little accident before we left the house that morning, which resulted in Eliott flying face first down the front steps into the pavement. He cried for a few minutes, but wasn't phased by it after that (as you can see by his cheesy smile above). After a fun filled day at the lake we headed back to the seacoast for fireworks, live music, and sparklers with family. We have been having a lot of fun this summer, but Dan has been so busy with work and other things going on, that we have spent very little time all together. This was the family day that we all really needed. 

I hope you all have been having a wonderful summer too! Has anything fun happened so far? Does anyone have big plans for the rest of the summer? We have a couple fun camping trips and short vacations planned, and I am loving all of the memories we have been making.

2 comments:

  1. So many sweet memories you are making this summer! After reading about your experiences with having babies at 6 months old in the summer, I realize that I'm really excited about next summer with a one year old! Of course that means that our first really interactive Christmas won't be until she's 18 months, but I guess you can't have it all, haha! Anyway, I loved reading this. And I totally relate to your beach loving self! So glad you guys have had so much time to play in the water this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been blogging much either..
    It's a summer thing.. looks like you have been having a wonderful time with the boys.
    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete