Wednesday, May 31, 2017

DIY Cheap & Reusable Swiffer Pads


We are just finishing up on all of the new flooring downstairs. We still have to add the new trim, so I will do a post about all of that when we have the trim done. One of the (many) reasons I am so excited about the new flooring is how much easier it is to clean the floors. Our downstairs was broken up into about 4 different types of flooring. It made the cleaning process take so much longer when I had to use multiple cleaning "tools" and products. Now with the exception of the bathroom and living room area rug, it is all one level floor which makes cleaning so much easier!

Like I said I will do a more detailed post on the flooring later, but here is a little sneak peak:


About once a day, because we have kids and no dog to clean up their messes, ;) I run over the whole thing with a dry Swiffer pad, and then a wet one for any sticky spots. It takes less than five minutes, and I actually enjoy cleaning the floors again.

Since swiffer pads are not cheap and we were going through at least one or two a day, I decided to find a cheaper and more sustainable option. I thought I would share my quick and easy DIY project in case anyone else uses the swiffer pads on their floors and wants to give it a try.
 The dollar store sells these cleaning towels in three packs. I choose red for the wet pads and green for the dry pads. I trimmed them all down to fit the swiffer perfectly. They are easy to throw in the wash and can be reused daily. I added a method floor cleaner to mine because I love the smell and the way it cleans our floors, but you could do a vinegar and water mix, or whichever cleaner you prefer.


This was super simple and only cost a few dollars to buy supplies that can be reused over and over again. I love being able to choose the scent, and the fact that I can clean the entire downstairs so quickly! The dollar store has some great products for cleaning. I also love their little hand held dusters for dusting off shelves and those can be thrown in the wash as well. I hope this helps someone else out!

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could DIY these! They ARE expensive so this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes we were flying through them at first so this has been perfect for us.

      Delete
  2. Wow that's a really cool trick, I should try this trick, but that means I also need to start cleanin (oh well)
    Love,
    Lala

    http://larajemec.blogspot.si/

    ReplyDelete