Thursday, September 6, 2018

Our First Day Of School/ New School Room Set Up

Logan had his first day of first grade on Monday. His curriculum wasn't quite in yet so we started a study on Native Americans (his request). We have been having so much fun with this Unit Study that I would probably build all of his subjects into unit studies if I had more time to lesson plan, and we were planning to homeschool all of the way up.

Here is a little glimpse into our first day of school this year.




He asked to fill out his own first day of school sign... spelling and all. ;) I had no idea that he had being a bounty hunter in mind for a career. He said he would like to be both a bounty hunter, and a fireman. He just isn't sure which he wants to do first yet. Of course, Eli wanted to join in for pictures and thinks he is in big kid school this year too.

They worked on art projects while I read the Bible story for the day and a book about Native Americans.

Then Logan filled out his first day of school questions. This year he had to do it all by himself!


After a little more reading and work, we headed over to my grandparents farm. My grandmother is going to be doing lessons with him about different aspects of farming on Tuesdays. She also sent us home with a bunch of eggs, fresh veggies from the garden, and some farm raised meat. I am so thankful for my sweet grandparents and their generosity/ desire to be a part of the boys' lives.

We ended the day with Logan's soccer practice!

As far as Eliott goes, I do my best to keep him busy...

 But a lot of times this is a more realistic scene.

Here is a short video walking through our new set up and touching on how I keep the littlest two busy while we homeschool in case that sort of thing interests you...

In the interest of keeping things real, I have learned over the past couple years of preschool and kindergarten that if I don't start and end the school day with a clean and organized school area it makes it extremely hard for me to concentrate or get anything accomplished. So that area takes priority when it comes to cleaning and organizing.The rest of our house is a complete disaster right now. We have three+ loads of laundry sitting on the couch waiting to be folded, and a sink full of dishes. Starting a new school year is a big adjustment to our schedules, and sometimes we just can't fit everything into our days. Things are never perfect. As we transition some things will just have to wait until the weekend. Thankfully, Dan and I agree on the priority being the kids and their educations. He does house chores just as much as he is able to as well, however a big time crunch of a job (for him) happened to align with the first week of school. We both know that these busy seasons are sort of just survival mode. We will get through them, and fall into a rhythm again eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment